Chicago

Road trip city #1, the beginning and the return...

It is true, it is windy, amazing buildings, a beautiful river that crosses the city and once a year it turns green for St. Patric's day. They even have their own fresh water beach! I am pretty sure lots of people know that, but I didn't know, and I didn't believe that a lake could have such a wild waves.
Food is diverse like any other city, but with many taco places as in any city in Mexico. The "Bean" is as cool as it looks in the pictures. My road trip started here, I spend a few days before and after, I got time to rest, to check last minute details and prepare for some intense driving. Also to do some shopping, drink coffee and try some of their local crafted beers.


I wish I could say more about Chicago, but I was a bit jet lag, I arrived very tired, not able to sleep a lot in the plane. Straight away my sister picked me up, with my light head try to get ready to go out and meet my cousin that I haven't seen in a very long time. We had dinner at a Sushi place, full of hipsters and great ambience. I most admit the latin influence is hard core in Chicago.

Wasabi

(Japanese Restaurant, more known for the Ramen)
http://www.wasabichicago.com/



Yes, that is jalapeƱo on top!


Wagyu beef tartare on top! Yummy!!


Steam pork buns, as good as always!

Deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's





Traditional deep dish pizza, one slice was enough!

Deep dish pizza is part of what you would eat in Chicago, there is a couple of famous places where you would go and eat it. We order an appetiser with of course 90% of it deep fried and then a small pizza, and one slice was enough!

San Soo Gab San, Korean BBQ

(where some asians like to get "turn up")



Truly amazing experience with loads of side dishes, super nice marinated beef,  this was a great way to say goodbye to Chicago. 


Glazed & Infuse, Donuts for breakfasts...

...there is a que outside!


First time is a charm, I went for my Sunday breakfast at Glaze, I mean the diversity of donuts are amazing, I am not a big fan of stuffing my face with sugar first thing in the morning, but oh well that is what some people in Chicago do, so I had to give it a try! I chose the bacon glaze with maple syrup and bacon. For my taste it is too sweet, couldn't finish it, but it was a sweet experience.

The Lockdown, Burgers and sweet potato fries

best sweet potato fries ever!


Burger night at the Lockout, well the place choice of music is not my cup of tea, as it real heavy metal, but the ambience is respectful and very friendly. Besides they make the best sweet potato fries I have ever tried.  We order the goat cheese and portobello burger, the special thing is the pretzel bun, a total winner!!!


Chicago fine skyline of beautiful light up buildings,  this picture was taken from the Adler Planetarium.

It looks likes I just spent my time in Chicago eating, and well yes I did, I am missing more places, overall it was a great experience and I would like to go back to Chicago in the summer. I am not the most conventional tourist, I like to wander, to eat and try new things, I like to see how people drink their coffee, or maybe how they sitting down on a bench. I love to smell the air and listen to people accents.

If you are thinking of traveling, read some of my tips for traveling here @the Vanilla Project.

Comments